Washington, DC, United States
Beginning in 2009, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) began plans to consolidate its various agencies into a central headquarters campus. The St. Elizabeths campus in Washington, DC was chosen. Designated as a National Historic Landmark, the campus was originally constructed in 1855 as the first federally operated Government Hospital for the Insane.
In early 2011, Portland Bolt was contacted by the contractor performing Phase 1B of the project which involved the adaptation and historic renovation of several buildings including the campus theatre, the icehouse, and the center building, as well as being involved in the construction of the new U.S. Coast Guard Headquarters building. Because the project was being funded by the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (“Recovery Act”) of 2009, everything used on the project had to be 100% domestic, and the contractor wanted to take their bolting requirements to a manufacturer with a long history of supplying government projects.
Over the course of the next year and a half, Portland Bolt manufactured and shipped thousands of A307 hex bolts and lag screws, custom A325 structural bolts, Type 316 stainless steel hex bolts, along with washers, nuts, and plate washers, all domestic and with full certification documents. The typical order turnaround time was less than two weeks. Upon completion, the estimated $4.5 billion project will house DHS, the Coast Guard, FEMA, Customs and Border Protection (CBP), Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE), and the Transportation Security Administration.