Portland Bolt Celebrates 100 Years
Portland, OR – February 20, 2009 – In 2012, Portland Bolt and Manufacturing Company will celebrate its 100th anniversary. From its humble beginning in a 6,000 square foot livery stable in 1912, Portland Bolt has grown to become one of the leading anchor bolt and nonstandard construction fastener manufacturers in North America.
Portland Bolt was founded by JM Llewellyn in July of 1912, and by 1916, the 15-employee company was producing annual sales of $100,000. In the early years, products manufactured by Portland Bolt included bolts, rivets, pole pins, washers, dies, and tools for machine shops. Portland Bolt was manufacturing products for the ship building industry, telegraph companies, and railroads and shipping as far north as the Canadian border, as far south as San Francisco, and as far east as Montana.
By the mid-1920s Portland Bolt had moved to a larger manufacturing facility on Northwest 14th and Lovejoy Street in Portland and had added a hot-dip galvanizing line. Portland Bolt operated out of this facility until 1974, when the Llewellyn family sold the business to Melvin Peters and Morris Galen. Their intention was to fulfill the company’s obligations and then liquidate the assets. While operating the facility, they realized that the company had more potential as a viable entity than liquidation offered. They sold off the galvanizing line and moved the facility to Northwest 12th and Johnson Street.
In 1988, the company was purchased by David Ederer and Brian Sonnenberg, then President, and in 1992 was moved to its current 85,000 square foot facility at Northwest 35th and Guam Street. A hot-dip galvanizing line specifically designed for threaded fasteners was added in 1994, bringing the company’s focus as a bolt manufacturer and hot-dip galvanizer full circle.
The 1995 acquisition of Seattle-based Northwest Bolt & Nut Company expanded Portland Bolt’s manufacturing capabilities and marketing reach. Since then, all manufacturing processes have been centralized to the current location in Portland.
During 2005, the company’s management and ownership changed to what it is today. Jonathan Todd took over day to day operations and became an owner, while Brian Sonnenberg retired after 35 years in the steel industry but remained as Chairman of the Board.
“Shortly after the company was started, product was being manufactured for projects around the Northwest,” said Jonathan Todd, Portland Bolt President and Owner. “Through the years we adjusted to the needs of our customers, which in turn had us sending product throughout North America. In the last 15 years, with our reputation of dependable product deliveries and impeccable customer service, our bolts now reach all over the globe. We are extremely proud of the efforts of the people who make up Portland Bolt and the relationships we have created over a century of doing business.”
“Our longevity can be attributed to our ability to adapt to an ever-changing marketplace,” said Portland Bolt General Manager Greg Lindsay. “We manufacture different products now than we did years ago and our products are sold to different industries and over a much broader geographical region.”
In 2011, Portland Bolt manufactured and shipped over 6.2 million pounds of anchor bolts and construction fasteners to more than 2,300 different customers in all 50 states, 9 of 10 Canadian provinces, and 32 different countries. Current markets include power and energy, marine construction, steel fabrication, mining, pole line, light rail, and highway construction. Portland Bolt operates in a modern 85,000 square foot manufacturing facility that includes a state of the art hot-dip galvanizing line. Products manufactured include hex and square head bolts, anchor rods, bent anchor bolts, U-bolts, eye bolts, square plates, tie rod assemblies and numerous varieties of specialty fasteners. Visit Portland Bolt’s website at www.portlandbolt.com.