A Tradition of Quality
A Century in the Making
Portland Bolt starts out in 1912 in a
6,000 square foot livery stable.
Only 4 years old, Portland Bolt
& Manufacturing is featured in the series
"Nothing the Matter with Portland"
covering successful, local businesses
Portland Bolt outgrows it's original home
and moves to NW 14th and Lovejoy, also adding
a hot-dip galvanizing line.
Portland Bolt is sold to Melvin Peters and
Morris Galen, who sell off the hot-dip galvanizing
line and move it to NW 12th and
New owners David Ederer and Brian Sonnenberg
move the company to its present, 85,000
square foot facility at NW 35th and Guam,
where last year we shipped over 6.2 million
pounds of anchor bolts around the world
In 2012, Portland Bolt and Manufacturing Company celebrated its 100th anniversary. From its humble beginning in a 6,000 square foot livery stable in 1912, Portland Bolt has grown to become one of the leading anchor bolt and nonstandard construction fastener manufacturers in North America.
Portland Bolt was founded by JM Llewellyn in July of 1912, and by 1916, the 15-employee company was producing annual sales of $100,000. In the early years, products manufactured by Portland Bolt included bolts, rivets, pole pins, washers, dies, and tools for machine shops. Portland Bolt was manufacturing products for the ship building industry, telegraph companies, and railroads and shipping as far north as the Canadian border, as far south as San Francisco, and as far east as Montana.
By the mid-1920s Portland Bolt had moved to a larger manufacturing facility on Northwest 14th and Lovejoy Street in Portland and had added a hot-dip galvanizing line. Portland Bolt operated out of this facility until 1974, when the Llewellyn family sold the business to Melvin Peters and Morris Galen. Their intention was to fulfill the company's obligations and then liquidate the assets. While operating the facility, they realized that the company had more potential as a viable entity than liquidation offered. They sold off the galvanizing line and moved the facility to Northwest 12th and Johnson Street.
In 1988, the company was purchased by David Ederer and Brian Sonnenberg, then President, and in 1992 was moved to its current 85,000 square foot facility at Northwest 35th and Guam Street. A hot-dip galvanizing line specifically designed for threaded fasteners was added in 1994, bringing the company's focus as a bolt manufacturer and hot-dip galvanizer full circle.
The 1995 acquisition of Seattle-based Northwest Bolt & Nut Company expanded Portland Bolt's manufacturing capabilities and marketing reach. Since then, all manufacturing processes have been centralized to the current location in Portland.
During 2005, the company’s management and ownership changed to what it is today. Jonathan Todd took over day to day operations and became an owner, while Brian Sonnenberg retired after 35 years in the steel industry but remained as Chairman of the Board.
In 2012, Portland Bolt manufactured and shipped over 5.7 million pounds of anchor bolts and construction fasteners to more than 2,300 different customers in all 50 states, 8 of 10 Canadian provinces, and 31 different countries. Current markets include power and energy, marine construction, steel fabrication, mining, pole line, light rail, and highway construction. Portland Bolt operates in a modern 85,000 square foot manufacturing facility that includes a state of the art hot-dip galvanizing line. Products manufactured include hex and square head bolts, anchor rods, bent anchor bolts, U-bolts, eye bolts, square plates, tie rod assemblies and numerous varieties of specialty fasteners.
To this day, Portland Bolt continues to invest in equipment, technology, and the best people necessary to serve you. We are a team committed to providing the highest quality products that will exceed your expectations.
How it's Made: Portland Bolt
Follow an order through our shop and see how we make bolts.