Xenia, Ohio, United States
The Stevenson Road covered Bridge was built in 1877 by the Smith Bridge Company. The bridge is approximately 95 feet long and 16-1/2 feet wide and spans the Massies Creek. It is located in Xenia, Ohio and considered to be a lightly traveled area. The bridge is closed to automotive traffic, but open to pedestrian crossing. The Stevenson Road Covered Bridge has been recognized for its eligibility for the National Register of Historic Places.
In 2012, The US Department of Transportation awarded the county $520,000.00 in federal grant money to restore the bridge. Since the engineering estimate came closer to $650,000.00, Greene County was responsible for the remaining $130,000.00. It had been determined that even though the bridge was not used by many, it was in a condition that was no longer safe for pedestrian crossing. This is a normal occurrence with older wooden bridges that have been exposed to the elements. In addition to the wooden members needing to be replaced, the hardware holding them together was also in great need of replacing.
Portland Bolt was contacted to be the manufacturer of the miscellaneous hardware required for the bridge rehabilitation. The hardware included primarily hex bolts in lengths that were longer than what would be available off the shelf as well as Ogee washers and 4” split rings, which can be difficult to find. Because the project was funded by the U.S. Department of Transportation, all of the required hardware needed to be 100% melted and manufactured in the USA. With Portland Bolt’s ability to forge headed bolts, along with our raw material and manufacturing being 100% domestic, we were able to get the parts shipped to the jobsite on time and as needed.